Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mocha and Cream Lace Blanket

This is the throw version of the Baby Carriage Blanket I did a while back. The final dimensions are 63"x40".

































In San Francisco where I live, you pretty much need a blanket all year round. This blanket was a good stash buster. I used 1.5 skeins of Cascade Eco Wool in each color on size 10 needles. The border is done in moss stitch. The lace pattern is very easy and I changed color on either row 1 or row 9 of the lace repeat.




















The pattern started with .5 skein of mocha for the border and the lace, then a whole skein of the cream for the body, back to a whole skein of mocha for the next section of the body, then enough yarn from the cream to match the length of the mocha end of the blanket.















I called it mocha and cream because it reminds me of desserts, like a rootbeer float or a mocha tort with whipped cream.





















I tossed the finished blanket in our front-loading washer on wool setting and hoped for the best. (I used the cashmere wash from J. Crew. It smells great.) The blanket came out with no felting at all. After I blocked it on our dining table, I gave it a good iron and steam as I do with all my lace knits. I find that simply blocking it (sans blocking wire) doesn't open up the lace enough.




















I love how it turned out. I like the bold stripes as I find it a good contrast with the lace and made the blanket more modern. If I were to knit this again, I would cast off with a larger needle as my cast off is tighter than my cast on.

Feel free to ask me any questions! Link to Ravelry

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was wondering how many stitches you had to cast on? And with these kind of widths, did you have to use a really long circular needles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ceciliasf~
    I just found your blog and the great pictures you have provided. You do very beautiful work. I was surprised to see that you haven't blogged since 2010. I hope you are not ill or have run across bad times. Keep up with your beautiful knitting creations! I love your work!
    Spellie5star (aka LAF)

    ReplyDelete