Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Carrie Handwarmers

Inspired by the Emerald Green Handwarmers by creativeyarn, here are the Carrie handwarmers that were created as a birthday present to our beloved babysitter. The cuffs are done in k1p1 ribbing and the body in moss stitch. So simple, but very cute when worn!


Materials:
- About 1/4 skein of Malabrigo Worsted Yarn, the color shown in the above
  photo is verde adriana
- Size 6 needles
- Size 7 needles
- Size 8 needle (for cast off only)

Note: the edge salvage stitches are knit in stockinette stitch for easier seaming and a neater edge for the thumb hole. The wrist portion is knit in smaller needles to ensure better fit.


Directions:
- Using size 6 needles, cast on 34 stitches and begin k1p1 ribbing as follows:
   Row 1 (RS): k1, *k1, p1, repeat from * until the last stitch, k1
   Row 2 (WS): knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches
 - Repeat rows 1&2 two more times

- Start moss stitch:
  Row 1 (RS): k1, *k1, p1, repeat from * until the last stitch, k1
  Row 2:  knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches
  Row 3:  k1, *p1, k1, repeat from * until the last stitch, k1
  Row 4:  knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches
  Repeat rows 1-4 5 more times
  Switch to size 7 needles, repeat pattern 5 times

- Start k1p1 ribbing as per direction above, knit rows 1 & 2 twice (total of 4 rows), then cast off to pattern using size 8 needle.

- Sew up the seams, approximately 1.5" from the top down, allowing 1.75" for the thumb hole, then seam up the rest. Try it on as you sew to ensure better fit.

- I have smallish hands. For larger size try casting on 36 or 38 stitches.


Since I have some leftover yarn in a different color, I made a shorter pair for myself. The body color is applewood. I did 6 rows of ribbing for the bottom cuff, switched to main color and started with rows 3 and 4 of the moss stitch and then continue on to full pattern of rows 1-4.  2 1/2 pattern repeats were knit in size 6 needles, followed by 5 pattern repeats in size 7 needles, then 4 rounds of ribbing again.

The longer pair is 7.25" in length and shorter pair is 6" in length.

You can certainly knit this in the round, just omit the first and last stitches in the ribbing and moss stitch instructions. I chose to knit flat and seam because while I don't mind knitting a few rounds with dpns, I don't enjoy knitting an entire project with dpns. The seaming here is easy and fast since the handwarmers are small.

Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this pattern. I've been using stash yarn to make fingerless gloves. It will be nice to change from plain ribbed ones to these.

    And...welcome to blogging. It looks like you've just started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added this project and thumbnail to our site and linked to you. We are looking for more Christmas project as well as other projects, so if you have any similar projects please feel free to let me know.

    Julia
    jlitz@primecp.com
    Editor, www.AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!! This is just what I was looking for! It's almost below zero here and I type all day at my job, so regular gloves are a pain. I'm going to try to finish these before work on Wednesday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this pattern! I'm working on my second set today! I love how quick it is! I am also playing with the pattern and color combination a bit on this second pair. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doris,

    I just wanted to let you know that we have featured this pattern on our site here: http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Hands-and-Wrists/moss-stitch-handwarmers

    Please feel free to contact me if you would like us to feature more of your patterns.

    Thank you,

    Caitlin Kavanaugh
    Editor, AllFreeKnitting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my names Tammy I have been working on a pair of these gloves and they are knitting up beautifully I'm allmost done with the first one I started yesterday. I've not done knitting on dpns yet so this is a great pattern for me thank you very much. They will be a present for my niece to go with her matching scarf I made for her birthday in Feb. she mentioned fingerless gloves so I thought I"d make her some. Hope your enjoying your day.

    Happy Knitting.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. If knitting on dp needles, how do you make the thumb hole?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this project. I am using up a lot of my stash making hats and mitts. This is an excellent pattern and is very pretty. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im new to reading pattern so if someone could help me, id appericate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been knitting since I was 4... so if you still need help reading patterns, I'm your girl! Just let me know. You can reach me at perfidiousvixen@yahoo.com , or fitzpatrickmaryjo@gmail.com (I use the 2nd one more frequently; the first email is sort of an inside joke with my friends and I since I am neither perfidious nor a vixen!) I look forward to hearing from you.

      Delete
  10. Just to let you know I've mentioned your hand warmers on my blog! Thank you, Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Doris!

    I am an editor of AllFreeKnitting and would love to feature your patterns on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would just love it and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple.

    I see you have lots of other great patterns on your site as well and I would be interested in featuring even more! If you are interested in featuring more projects like this one with links to your site, I can create a nice bio page for you as well as one of my Featured Knitting Designers. This page will include your bio and links to your site as well as any social media you would like to promote.

    My site is part of Prime Publishing and we publish 19 cooking and crafting web sites. We have over 3.5 million active e-mail subscribers and about 10 million page views per week. You can learn more about us at www.primecp.com.

    Please let me know if you would like to get started. Just a reply to this e-mail is all it takes.

    Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you!


    Nicola Trumbull, Editor
    ntrumbull@primecp.com
    Prime Publishing LLC
    3400 Dundee Road
    Northbrook, IL 60062
    847-205-9375 Main | 847-513-6099 Fax

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! I'm a crocheter, though I know how to knit. I mainly knit small things every once in a while, so these will be great to tackle over the weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These gloves are so pretty! I'm going to knit them up for my sister and my daughter! Thanks for posting them for free! You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are what I was looking for as my first pair of gloves as I am not ready to tackle fingers yet, and I'd like something that allows my fingers free. I just started a pair, and I think there's a small mistake in the pattern. On Row 2 of your ribbing you say "Row 2 (WS): knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches", yet this creates seed/moss stitch. Thankfully, I read patterns through a couple times before starting so I can visualize it in my head. It should read: Row 2 (WS): *P1, K1" across to last 2 stitches, then P2.

    Anyways, thank you for the lovely pattern. I look forward to seeing the finished result. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely pattern. Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to making these. I have recently started a crafting blog and would enjoy sharing ideas with you. Www.laughingcatcreates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What yarn could you use instead of what you used? Like a yarn from michaels or wal mart. Would love to try the pattern. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any yarn that knits up at about 4 stitches per inch.

      Delete
  17. Just checked comments in this blog. I, too, am knitting on dp needles...any suggestions where to either put a thumb gusset or hole for thumb?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, I just wanted to thank you for your pattern, I want to knit 20 pairs for a local care home as a thank you for caring for my dear mum who sadly died in August last year, I did knit her some but they were a bit plain, I like these because I think they are a nice chunky unisex pattern. So the staff don't have a problem sorting out who's is who's, I'll knit a pretty colour for the ladies and a nice autumn shade for the gentlemen.
    Thank you again Lynn

    ReplyDelete